Thursday, July 4, 2024

Some feeling

Back again to shout in the dark... Actually just hum contentedly to myself.

My previous posts seem to be from a lifetime ago. They make me cringe... but I guess I really felt those emotions then. The Akemi who wrote those words is a stranger BUT i admire her s̶t̶r̶u̶g̶g̶l̶e̶ delusions.

To all the boys i've loved before... i'm your villain.

i recently went through my old mails, messages and chats in an unexpected (and unintended) act of introspection. Frankly, i was expecting it all to confirm the narrative that i have always held... that i was the one who was wronged. 


That i was too pure, too naive and more importantly, too much in love. However, my voyeuristic trip down memory lane stored in bits and bytes painted an entirely different picture. 

My selfishness and vanity were plain to see in every sentence I've ever typed out. A lack of empathy and a morbid pleasure in playing the victim...


I
 must add, that some m̶e̶n̶  boys deserved that repulsive version of me. For they have grown into older versions of their perverted younger  s̶e̶x̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶d̶a̶t̶o̶r̶s selves.

But one definitely did not. 

I think about him often after my recent realisation. We were both kids and then young adults trying to make sense of all the vollies that life was throwing at us while desperately trying to not let go of each other. 

As a much, much older Akemi, i realise that we were always supposed to let go. If i knew then what i know now, i would have done that. Then, w̶e̶ i could have avoided 13 years of wishing him the worst. 



Because, he was never my villain, i was. Well, as much as a 20 year-old girl can ever be because even though hindsight is a gift, i cannot expect younger Akemi to ever understand what he was going through. 
And, yet again, because hindsight is a gift, i can see we were never the happily ever after.

We were eachother's tough life lessons, the ones that stab your soul, rip your heart and leave you quite breathless with a sickening feeling in the pit of your stomach. 

For this, you need to open up your heart, trust blindly and surrender your soul, because you only learn this lesson once and never again. 

If only i had patience and a crystal ball, i would not have unleashed the hell that i did.

Remember, remember, this is now, and now, and now. Live it, feel it, cling to it. I want to become acutely aware of all I’ve taken for granted.
- Sylvia Plath 


As i pray for our battle scars to fade away, i realise that there's nothing left for me to do but to sit with this epiphany. An apology means too little, comes too late and is probably not even required... because unlike my younger self, i realise that i am not the sun and the lives of others don't revolve around me. 

i pen this realisation and send the secret up in the sky as a star so that it can twinkle at you...
i hope you're as happy as i am.

Sayonara






No comments:

Post a Comment